Covering Up Will Protect your Skin and Help Slow Down Signs of Aging
- 90% of AGING of our skin is from the SUN
- Only 23% of our lifetime exposure of sun damage occurs by age 18. It is never too late to protect your skin from the sun!
Covering Up is a Preventive Measures against Skin Cancer
- Skin cancer is an EPIDEMIC in the United States. More people are diagnosed with skin cancer in the US than all cancers combined.
- 1 out of every 5 Americans will develop a skin cancer by the age of 70, and 86-90% of these are caused by ultraviolet radiation.
- More than 50 people die of skin cancer every day
- Just one blistering sunburn doubles your risk of melanoma.
- In the last decade, the incidence of new invasive melanomas has increased by 54%, and women age 49 and under are more likely to develop melanoma than any other cancer except breast and thyroid.
UPF vs. SPF
- Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) indicates HOW MUCH of the sun’s rays penetrate through the fabric. A UPF of 50 indicates that 1/50th of UVA and UVB rays reaches your skin, or 2%., so a UPF 50+ blocks 98%+ of the harmful radiation from the sun. This is the highest fabric rating available.
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is how sunscreens are rated, but it is determined by how MUCH TIME it takes for the skin to get burned. That is why you must reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. We also know that most people apply less than half the correct amount of sunscreen for it to work like the SPF indicated. Sadly, only 30% of American women use sunscreen regularly.
- Clothing is THE MOST effective way to protect your skin from the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays, but a white t-shirt only gives you UPF 7 protection, and if it gets wet, that goes down to UPF 3 protection.
UPF50+ clothing is the best choice when it comes to sun protection.
Loose fitting apparel is preferable because tight clothing can stretch and reduce protection as fibers pull away from each other and allow more UV light to pass through. Our solwrap is designed with all those considerations in mind and will provide you with stylish sun protection.